Redeemer Church • 3431 Hamilton Middletown Road • Hamilton, OH • 513.863.3323
Copyright © 2014, Redeemer Church, All rights reserved.
Follow us on Facebook:
In the 1890’s, East Hamilton welcomed the arrival of two great safe works, Mosler and Herring-
The young congregation received two lots from the East Hamilton Land Syndicate upon which a new church would be built, the first in East Hamilton. On October 9, 1892, the corner stone was laid, and in April, 1893, the new building was dedicated. Total cost of the new church was $2,000. For the first five years, the church served also as a public school.
In the spring of 1900 a parsonage was built next to the Church also at a cost of $2,000. The Rev. Theodore Tessman became the first resident pastor of the young church.
The year 1907 saw the congregation raise $1,349 for excavating and building a church basement, a steeple and the installation of a bell.
On April 6, 1923, stirred by the address of ex-
The years that followed were difficult ones for the congregation, brought about in large measure by the economic depression of 1929. Faced with the mortgage of the new Sunday School annex, the years also brought a decrease in the Church membership and finances as the effects of the depression became widespread.
Our nation worked itself out of the depression, and so did Redeemer Church. In 1940, the Rev. Oliver Hotz became its new pastor. His vigor and enthusiasm were soon felt. The church began to grow both in spirit and in membership. The 50th Anniversary of Redeemer Church was a grand occasion. In preparation for it in October, 1942, the church building was repaired and completely renovated with new altar, carpeting, lighting and curtains for the Sunday School stage.
The Rev. Victor Schoen became the pastor of Redeemer Church in 1944 and the growth continued. The Sunday School mortgage was burned and a Mohler organ was installed.
A new home for Redeemer Church was again envisioned, and a Building Campaign was begun with the possibility of establishing a church in south Lindenwald. Also, two lots were purchased on Bender and Parish Avenues as possible building sites.
However, by the 60th Anniversary, thoughts again returned to the original building and chimes and a tower amplification system were installed.
It was under the pastorate of the Rev. Kirby Jenquin that the building program became a working reality. In 1958, 5½ acres of land on the Hamilton-
In March, 1962, the church building was sold for $26,000 and the Congregation was without a home.
Temporary arrangements were made for Worship Services in the Fairfield North Elementary School. On May 15, 1962 the final services were held at “the little white Church on the hill.”
The following September, the Rev. Ward Harman became interim-
The weather was cold but hearts were warm, when on December 8, 1963, the congregation of Redeemer Church gathered for the first time in the new Sanctuary to offer praise to God.
Today Redeemer Church meets to dedicate a new building. But it is more than a building. It is the realization of a dream that began over forty years ago. It is a fitting memorial to those pastors and members who have preceded us. Let us pray that it might serve also as an inspiration to those that follow. Surely God hath done marvelous deeds.
Text from the Church Dedication Service
Sunday, January 12, 1964
|What We Believe|